A reminder of general recommendations for reducing the risks associated with COVID-19
- Limit contact with people outside your household
- Duration and proximity of any contact affects transmission – stay at least 2 metres apart where possible and stay side by side rather than face to face
- Avoid public transport wherever possible
- Avoid peak travel times and go directly from work to home and back again
- Wash hands as often as possible with soap or hand gel if soap/water is not available
- Don’t open doors with your palm. Use your elbow or another body part instead
- Eat at home or bring your own food to work
- Do not shake hands
- At petrol stations, use a paper towel or disposable gloves
- Wash hands thoroughly when you return home
- Always carry a disinfectant hand gel for when you cannot immediately wash your hands
- Cough or sneeze in disposable tissue then throw it away (sneezing into the crook of your elbow is next best – don’t sneeze into your hands)
- A face covering is recommended in enclosed public areas
- Avoid touching your face
Skip to what's relevant to you
Or read through it all. But before you do...
Please note that any face-to-face appointments or property visits cannot take place where a member of the household has presented with coronavirus symptoms or tested positive for coronavirus within the last 14 days. In line with government advice, our staff will be required to check before any viewing or visit if any party has had COVID-19 or shown symptoms, are shielding or clinically vulnerable, or are currently self-isolating.
Jacobs Steel staff and our officesUpdated 21 July 2021
Are you open?
Yes we are! All of our branches are open.
Please bear in mind that whilst people are now free to move home, the process of finding and moving into a new home is likely to be different to how you remember it! We hope to have covered most queries on this page, but if there's anything else you'd like to know please contact us.
Can I visit your office?
Yes you can. We have social distancing measures in place in each office and our staff will wear face coverings.
How are you protecting your staff?
The safety and well-being of our staff and clients is always our primary concern. We have conducted a full risk assessment for each of our offices and have issued a "COVID Secure" document to each member of our team. These documents contains guidlines on how to conduct business during the fight against the coronavirus.
If you would like a copy of any of the above, please contact us.
Preparing to buy or sellUpdated 21 July 2021
Can I put my property on the market?
You are able to arrange a valuation, photographs and EPC's in order to get your property on the market.
Jacobs Steel have conducted a full risk assessment and put suitable measures in place to ensure the risk of spreading the virus remains low.
Our consultants will be wear face coverings on all appointments and sanitise or wash their hands between each visit. Social distancing guidance must be followed during all appointments.
Can I arrange in-person viewings?
You can arrange in-person viewings on a property.
Are virtual viewings still available?
We understand that not everyone is able or ready to view properties in person; so our LIVE video viewings will still be an option for both buyers and vendors.
Conducting/Attending In-Person ViewingsUpdated 21 July 2021
Do I have to book in advance?
We have always operated a booking system for viewings and yes, you do still have to book in advance. Sellers should not show anyone round their home without a booked appointment through Jacobs Steel.
Can I view any property?
In theory, yes. However, if we are informed that any member of one of our vendors' household has had COVID-19 or shown symptoms, are shielding or clinically vulnerable or are currently self-isolating, we will not be conducting any viewings until the required 14-day isolation period has lapsed.
Will a consultant from Jacobs Steel conduct the viewing?
We will absolutely attempt to accompany all booked viewings. Where viewings are unaccompanied, we will make absolutely sure that both viewers and homeowners understand how they should conduct themselves.
The viewing process
- Viewings must be booked in advance. A Jacobs Steel representative will meet you at the property. We are unable to offer chauffered viewings at this time.
- No more than 2 people, plus our staff member, may attend a viewing. Both viewers must be from the same household; and we would advise against bringing children on viewings. Where children must attend, parents must ensure they do not touch any surfaces within the property.
- We encourage masks to be worn by all viewers, occupiers and staff members.
- Upon entering a property, viewers and staff members must sanitise or wash their hands with soap and water and dry them on separate towels/paper towels, which are to be disposed of properly. In case our vendors are unable to provide access to hand-washing facilities, we would advise viewers to bring their own antibacterial gel.
- Social distancing guidelines must be followed throughout the entire viewing, where possible.
- Vendors must attempt to vacate their property prior to a viewing, where possible, and leave all internal doors open to minimize our contact with surfaces. On return to your property, we would advise you thoroughly clean/disinfect obvious areas (such as front and rear door handles.
Under Offer / Purchasing a propertyUpdated 21 July 2021
Are conveyancers working as normal?
Like many firms, conveyancers have adopted working from home.
If you don't yet have a conveyancer, we are able to recommend local, reliable firms that we have dealt with personally over the years. Contact your local Jacobs Steel branch to discuss.
Can surveys and mortgage valuations take place?
Your surveyor can undertake surveys of the property you wish to purchase.
Surveyors should not enter a property where a member of the household is showing symptoms of coronavirus or self-isolating.
If your home is being surveyed, you should ensure the surveyor has access to all the parts of the property they need to inspect, and make efforts to minimise contact with the surveyor, for example by staying in another room whilst they are inspecting your home.
Will we be able to exchange and complete?
Yes, you are free to exchange, complete and move home! Anyone involved in any aspect of the home moving process should practice social distancing in line with public health advice.
Are removal companies available?
Due to extremely high deamdn currently, we would encourage you to contact removal firms as early as possible in advance of your move.
LandlordsUpdated 21 July 2021
TenantsUpdated 21 July 2021
Can I give notice and move?
Yes, you are free to move home! Anyone involved in any aspect of the home moving process should practice social distancing in line with public health advice.
Can I arrange in-person viewings?
It is possible to arrange in-person viewings on a property.
Should I allow viewings to take place on my home?
You can see our viewing process here.
If you still feel nervous or unsure, please speak to us.
What happens if I need to sign something?
There is a lot that we are able to do remotely, however, should we need to meet with you in person this will be by appointment, social distancing and handwashing guidance will be followed and both you and our representative are encouraged to wear a face covering.
What do I do if I have a maintanance issue?
Please report maintenance issues in the usual way and we will discuss health and safety protocol with you.
View the government's full guidance for landlords and tenants here.
Sign up to our newsletter
Stay abreast of all things property related; including home decor & DIY tips and tricks, market updates and the latest developments in our industry.