The Ultimate Moving Home Checklist
After 40 years of experience, we’ve learned a thing or two about moving, and we’re more than happy to share our wisdom with you in this ultimate moving home checklist.
Whether you’re upsizing, downsizing, or shaking things up with a completely new postcode, our expert tips will help you sidestep common moving mishaps and settle into your new digs in a jiffy.
1. Start Early
- Begin planning at least 2-3 months before your moving date.
- Where possible, create a detailed timeline to stay organised.
2. Get to Know Your New Neighbourhood:
- Explore your new surroundings and find essential services like supermarkets, local medical facilities, and schools if needed.
- Sort through your belongings and decide what to keep, donate, or discard.
- Host a garage sale or list items online to lighten your load. Facebook Marketplace and Vinted are popular in the local community and have easy sales processes with no cost to you.
4. Hire Professional Movers:
- Research reputable moving companies and request quotes.
- Book your chosen movers well in advance to secure your preferred date.
5. Collect Packing Supplies:
- Stock up on sturdy boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and packing paper if you’re moving independently. Some moving companies can take care of all of this for you but this will cost more.
- Don’t forget labels and markers for clear labelling.
6. Pack Methodically:
- Start with non-essential items and seasonal belongings.
- Clearly label boxes with room names and contents for easy unpacking. Use a colour code or system for added ease and create a key for all involved in the moving process to make the unloading at the final destination run more smoothly.
- Leave a small box for valuables that you want to keep with you on the day.
7. Create an Essentials Box:
- Pack a box with immediate essentials like toiletries, clothes, and important documents.
- Keep this box with you during the move for quick access.
8. Create an Inventory:
- Keep a detailed list of your belongings for insurance purposes.
- Photograph valuable items.
9. Let Friends and family know you’re moving:
- Inform close friends and neighbours of your move.
- Consider hosting a farewell gathering as your final event in your home, if you enjoy entertaining.
10. Disassemble Furniture:
- Unless you’ve arranged for your removal company to do it, start disassembling large furniture pieces for easier transportation. Keep screws and hardware in labelled bags.
11. Clean Your Current Home:
- Thoroughly clean and tidy your old home before moving out.
- Check for any items left behind.
12. Confirm Moving Day Details:
- Confirm the moving date, time, and location with your chosen moving company.
- Provide clear directions to your new address.
13. Pack an Overnight Bag:
- Pack a bag with clothes, toiletries, and essentials for the first night in your new home.
- Avoid scrambling to find what you need amidst the unpacking chaos.
14. Check the Weather Forecast:
- If you’re moving during unpredictable UK weather, prepare accordingly with rain gear or extra blankets.
15. Moving Day:
- Stay organised and supervise the movers.
- Take photos of the old and new property’s condition for reference.
- Take meter readings at both your old home and your new one.
16. Unpack Strategically:
- Start with essential rooms like the kitchen and bedroom.
- Take your time to unpack and arrange your belongings thoughtfully so you don’t have to redo it later on.
17. Safety First:
- Install or update security measures, such as locks and alarms.
- Familiarise yourself with emergency services in your new area.
18. Change Your Address:
- Notify the post office, banks, and relevant agencies of your new address.
- Redirect your mail to your new home.
19. Meet the Neighbours:
- Introduce yourself to your new neighbours. Building a friendly relationship can make your new community feel like home.
20. Settle In:
- Take your time to decorate and personalise your new space.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere that suits your style.
- Have a read of our blog here discussing How Interior Design Can Add Value To Your Home. It’s good practice to always consider how updates, developments and changes to your home will impact the resale value of your home in the future.
21. Enjoy Your New Home:
- Finally, take the time to relax and enjoy your new home in West Sussex.
- Explore the local culture, make new friends, and create lasting memories.
Moving house is a significant life event. With careful planning and organisation, you can minimise stress and ensure a smooth transition into your new home. Stay on top of the moving process by following these steps, and you’ll be well-prepared for a successful move that allows you to embrace the next exciting chapter of your life with confidence.